Thursday, September 1, 2011

I Missed My Court Date

Q. I missed my court date that was listed on my speeding ticket. What can I do? Will I go to jail?

A potential client called me the other day in dismay worried that he missed his court date for a speeding ticket in Yonkers Traffic Court.  He asked me what were his options.  He was worried that a warrant was issued for his arrest.

In New York a typical speeding ticket will not result in a jail sentence.  While it is possible to be sentenced to jail on several different types of speeding tickets, very few motorists every go to jail for speeding.

If you missed the court date written on your ticket, it is important that you contact the court immediately and "answer" the ticket.  This means you need to either enter a plea of "guilty" or "not guilty."  Usually, the process of "Answering" your ticket will result in the court issuing you a new court date.  If you are in this situation, our firm can help.  Please give us a call at 914-723-7900 or send us an email.

If you failed to "answer" your ticket for a substantial period of time, a court will usually suspend your privilege to drive in New York.  This could result in a suspension in your home state if you are an out of state driver.  If you are suspended the court will require that you pay a suspension lift fee before any judicial action can be taken.

Sometimes the may require you to post a bail if you have missed your court date for a significant period of time.  A bail is a monetary sum to ensure that you make your new court date.  If you fail to go to court on the new date, you will forfeit your bail to the State.

These are some possible scenarios that occur.  For a more thorough analysis, please call our offices at 914-723-7900.

Disclaimer: Please be aware that every case is different and must be analyzed on an individual basis.  You should not rely solely on this blog post as an answer to your question.  You must call our office for a consultation to discuss your particular facts and circumstances of your case.