Monday, April 21, 2014

Official Guide to Fighting a Traffic Ticket in Binghamton

Fighting Your Traffic Ticket

Save money, points and insurance increases!
Call us today at 800-893-9645.
If you have received a traffic ticket in Binghamton, your ticket should be returnable to Binghamton Town Court. Upon receiving your ticket you have the option to plead guilty or not guilty. If you chose to plead guilty, the court will send you a fine notice which should be paid as soon as possible. 

If you would like to fight your ticket, pleading not guilty is the way to go. Once you have sent in your plea of not guilty, the court will notify you of your court date. At this court date you will have the opportunity to present the strengths and weaknesses of your case. 

Going to court can be quite a hassle, if you would like one of our experienced attorneys to represent you then give us a call at 800-893-9645. We have represented hundreds of clients all throughout New York State. Furthermore, we help save you time by going to court for you so you don't have to. 

About Binghamton

The Town of Binghamton has a population of 4,942 (2010 U.S. Census) and covers more than 25 miles in Broome County at the junction of the Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers. The area, which was heavily forested with evergreen trees when first settled in 1786, evolved into a thriving dairy farming region. The Village of Hawleyton is situated within the boundaries of town. 

The Justice Court office is open every Monday night at 7:00 p.m. except for holidays.Contact the Court Clerk for additional information. 

Court Tips and Tidbits

Checking in:  Once you have arrived to the courthouse, it is important that you check in with the court clerk. Failure to notifying the court clerk of your arrival may lead to your case not being called. 

Dress Code: While the court has no official dress code, it is very important that you present yourself in a respectable manner. Many judges frown upon those litigants who come into court dressed in tank tops, shorts, or other similar items. 

Things to Bring: You should bring your court notice advising you to appear in court.  If you are displaced, showing the court personnel your letter may help in directing you where to go and what to do. 

Other Useful Information

Suspension: Please remember that if your license is suspended it is a crime to drive with that license. If you are pulled over with a suspended license, the officer can impound your car and arrest you. 

Responding to Your Ticket on Time: It is very important that you respond to your ticket within 48 hours. Instructions on how to to enter your plea are provided on your ticket. A failure to answer your ticket can result in your license being suspended. 

Junior License: If you possess and junior license (DJ) and are issued a traffic ticket; you may have to appear in court regardless of your plea. A driver with a junior license should be very careful in resolving their matters because the DMV has more stringent guidelines for young drivers.

If Found Guilty: If you are found guilty, there are many different ways in which it may affect you.  This can include but is not limited to fines payable to the court, penalties payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles, insurance increases, and incarceration.

About Our Firm

At Villanueva and Sanchala, our team of skilled attorneys is lead by former New York City Prosecutor. With a former prosecutor on your side, we are able to give you the advantage of viewing your case's strengths and weaknesses from the perspectives of both the prosecutor and as a defense attorney. We can help you save time, money, points and insurance increases. Our attorneys can be reached at 800-893-9645.


1. How many points are allowed until a license is suspended?

There are many reasons why a driver may have their privilege to drive suspended.   With respect to points, a driver will suspended upon receiving 11 or more points within an 18 month period.

2. What would happen if I ignore my ticket?

A driver who ignores their moving violation will eventually have their privilege to drive submitted to DMV for suspension.  It is important that you stay on top of your traffic matter because driving with a suspended license can lead to significant problems including criminal charges.

3. There is a court date on the front of my ticket and the back of my ticket says I have 48 hours to respond. Which one do I follow?

Technically, you have 48 hours from the time your ticket is issued to enter a plea of not guilty by mail. 

For more information, give our attorneys a call today to see how we can help you save money, points and time. Call us now at 800-893-9645.